"Smartest" Cities

This story from the SF Business Journal says that San Francisco and Austin are tied for 2nd as the smartest city in the US. We are 2nd to Seattle. I guess what makes you smart, acc. to the survey is the how many residents hold a bachelor's degree. According to the article, "Forty-seven percent of Seattle's adults hold bachelor's degrees, the strongest proportion of college-educated residents in any big city. It's nearly double the U.S. average of 24.4 percent. "

Hmm... Does book smart = smart? And if you got a college degree does that make you smarter than someone else who didn't? I am not so sure. I knew my fair share of idiots at college. I also know that there are some very smart and successful folks that didn't get a college education.

Exceptions to every rule, I guess. However, I still don't think this survey is one that cities should be bragging about.

No comments: